Day 2 of the 30 Day Smoothie Challenge! Here is a strawberry banana inspired green smoothie packed with nutrients like Spirulina!
Strawberry Banana Green Smoothie
A classic with a nutrient dense twist
- 1 Cup Milk Alternative, Coconut Water or Filtered Water
- 1/2 Cup Organic Locally Grown Strawberries (frozen)
- 1 Banana (frozen)
- 1 Tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 Scoops Collagen Protein Powder (Optional)
- 1 Cup Spinach, Kale or Beet Greens
- 1 Scoop Greens Supplement
- 1 Tsp Spirulina
Add everything into the blender and once it’s all blended together – enjoy!
What Is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a bacterium – an algae – that is very high in protein, but also B12, Vitamin A, iron and other vitamins and minerals. Here are a few health benefits that Spirulina offers:
- Reducing Inflammation in the Gut: Spirulina increases healthy lactobacillus bacteria in the intestines, which helps to reduce inflammation (1). Lactobacillus bacteria can also be found in yogurts and other fermented foods. Lactobacillus can help promote the production of Vitamin B-6, which is necessary for energy production; however, studies are unclear whether taking spirulina actually helps reduce fatigue. Knowing the cause of where the fatigue is coming from, may help guide you if fatigue is one of your primary concerns.
- Reduces Allergies!: Spirulina is a natural supplement that can help lower the release of histamine from mast cells (2). Histamine release causes the common allergic reaction of itchy eyes, runny nose etc., but it can also be behind certain asthma attacks.
- Anti-Inflammatory! Spiurlina helps to reduce cytokines, which are inflammatory chemicals. Studies show a significantly reduced IL-4 (interleukin-4), which not only suggests a protective effect against allergic reactions, but may also play a role in lowering depression and anxiety.
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Leave us a comment – or join in on the 30 Day Smoothie Challenge!
Need some Recipe ideas?
Try this Berry Cinnamon Green Smoothie
Do you need to Reset your nutrition?
Tired of waking up tired? Not recovering well from workouts? Is brain fog or fatigue holding you back from doing well at work, getting your training done, or being more present at home?
Get the 30-Day Reset. An online self guided program in the form of an easy to download ebook with:
- Easy to Follow Meal Plans
- Daily Journaling and Tracking to See Results
- Recipes for Everyday
Take the confusion out of knowing what to eat. Let me be your guide for the next 30 Days.